18/10/11 Deenihan invites tenders for the supply of turf as part of the compensation package for turf cutters
Jimmy Deenihan, T.D., Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht today (Tuesday 18th October, 2011) has invited tenders from suitably qualified providers for the supply of sod turf for domestic home heating. The Minister is seeking tenders from suppliers who can make an annual delivery of an amount equivalent to ten tonnes of turf. Deliveries are expected to be made to private houses principally in counties Cavan, Clare, East Galway, Roscommon, East Mayo, Sligo, Laois, Westmeath, Kerry, Kildare, Meath, Offaly, Tipperary, Longford, and Mayo.
This follows an announcement by the Government in April of a compensation scheme offering those who had been actively cutting turf in 53 designated Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), but who cannot now continue to cut turf, a package delivering payments of €1,000 per annum for a maximum of 15 years. As an alternative to financial payments, and where feasible, qualifying turf cutters will be facilitated in relocating to alternative, non-designated sites to continue cutting turf. In addition, as an interim measure, and focused on those who wish to relocate to alternative bogs, the Minister is now making arrangements to supply an annual delivery of approximately 10 tonnes of cut turf until such time as the relocation sites are ready.
When announcing this additional compensation option the Minister said “this issue was raised at the Peatlands Council and I am glad to be able to move forward on the option for turf cutters to receive cut turf until such time as relocation sites are made available. This initiative will, I hope, prove helpful to those who wish to relocate and to continue to cut turf on non-designated bogs. While work is underway to identify suitable relocation bogs, this will take some time to complete. In the mean time, those who have stopped cutting turf will be able to receive an annual delivery of turf while this work continues.”
The Minister said that he expected the supply of cut turf option to last for 3-4 years but the issue would be kept under review.
The closing date for the receipt of tenders is 1 November 2011.
For further information contact:
Press Officer at 087 2908193/6313807/6313848/6313848