NPWS Legislation, Licensing and Development Applications Unit
National Parks and Wildlife Service – Legislation, Licensing and Development Applications Unit – Functions and Services
- Provision of advice and guidance to public authorities in relation to compliance with the EU Birds and Habitats Directives
- To have in place an up-to-date suite of Nature Conservation legislation in Ireland, particularly with regard to the transposition of the EU Birds and Habitats Directives
- Provision of advice and guidance regarding adherence to EU and national legislation on wildlife protection and conservation.
- Supports the Department in relation to high risk litigation in relation to certain infringements of the EU Birds and Habitats Directives.
- Oversight of the Department’s role, and associated internal policies and processes, as a prescribed body/statutory consultee in relation to nature conservation.
- Issuing Licenses under the Wildlife Acts
- Co-ordination of responses to planning applications and Strategic Infrastructure Development applications pertaining to the built and natural heritage referred to the Minister in her/his role as a statutory consultee within the planning process.
The Section contributes via the Development Applications Unit to the Department’s overall delivery of the statutory function that the Minister holds as a prescribed body under the Planning and Development Acts and as a statutory consultee in relation to nature conservation under various other legislative provisions. The Section also currently provides observations in relation to nature conservation to applicants to the planning process during the pre-application stage.
The Section is also responsible for policy and guidance development on such matters, and the Department’s own consent processes, and for the standardisation of relevant internal procedures and processes.
The Section also holds some of the Department’s records in relation to Memoranda of Understanding/Administrative Agreements that are in development with other public authorities.
The Development Applications Unit (DAU) centrally co-ordinates the Department’s response on a statutory basis to development applications and plans referred on architectural, archaeological, underwater and / or natural heritage grounds to the Minister under the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2015 and associated Regulations. DAU also co-ordinates observations on a non-statutory basis to licence applications for Forestry, Marine and Environmental Protection Agency licences.
Development applications can be referred to DAU through the following channels:
- E-referrals: DAU can facilitate the electronic referral of development applications via an integrated web accessible tool (e-Referrals) which is available to planning authorities.
- Soft-copy via e-mail (with a file size not exceeding 50MB): manager.dauchg.gov.ie
- Hard-copy: The Minister, c/o The Manager, Development Applications Unit, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, Newtown Road, Wexford
Further information on the referrals process can be obtained by contacting the DAU via the email address email@example.com.
National Parks and Wildlife Service – Legislation, Licensing and Development Applications Unit – Accessing our Services
Further information on the referrals process can be obtained by contacting the Development Applications Unit via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Parks and Wildlife Service – Legislation, Licensing and Development Applications Unit – Classes of Records Held
This Section holds records pertaining to planning applications for which staff are drafting observations as part of the Department’s statutory function as a prescribed body/statutory consultee, and related non-statutory functions. As such, it holds some personal information as it relates to, for example, the property of individuals whose applications are referred to the Department.
It also holds records pertaining to policy and procedural development, legislative matters, guidance and circulars that pertain to the functions of the Section.
The Development Applications Unit (DAU) holds electronic records pertaining to planning and licence applications referred to the Department and the Departments observations on these referrals (these records would include personal information). The unit has holds records relating to matters financial, administrative, legislative, guidance notes and circulars and which pertain to the functions of the unit.