Action Plan 2018-2022
The 20-Year Strategy for the Irish Language 2010-2030 is the policy of the State for the Irish Language. The Strategy has cross-departmental ownership and, accordingly, responsibility for its implementation falls on a number of Government Departments, bodies and Irish language and Gaeltacht organisations.
The Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht is responsible for co-ordinating its implementation.
As a result of a consultation process organised by the Department on the matter, the need for a 5-Year Action Plan was identified. The following are the main objectives of the Action Plan 2018-2022:
- Provide a more cohesive and coherent framework in support of the Strategy’s implementation which focuses on specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-specific actions to be implemented over the next five years to 2022.
- More efficient and effective engagement with the overall objectives of Government in relation to the Irish language in the context of the 20-Year Strategy, at Departmental, NGO and community level.
- Further develop co-ownership, co-responsibility and accountability across Government and at agency and NGO-level around the Strategy and the actions set out in the Action Plan
- Advance greater understanding and tie-in between relevant agencies’ and organisations’ work plans and the Plan and, by extension, the overarching 20-Year Strategy
- Provide a more efficient, effective and accountable means of ensuring and monitoring progress; and
- Foster greater “buy-in” and awareness across Government, at NGO and community level in support of the strategy and the intrinsic value of the language as an integral, valuable and unique part of Irish culture.
- Action Plan 2018-2022
- Details of the Measures set out in the Action Plan
- PPT overview of Plan content
- FAQs about the Plan
- 20-Year Strategy for the Irish Language 2010–2030
More information and enquiries:
Seán Ó Grifín
Higher Executive Officer
Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht